Tuesday, 6 October 2009

How much do you put in the bag?

Many years ago I came to realise that most precious commodity I have is - energy. I am not normal [anyone who knows me will tell you that]. There have been times when one draining activity has left me exhausted for weeks – when attendance at one Church service has demanded more than most folk can imagine.

Mark 12

41Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.
43Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

Some people give a lot and some have a lot to give. This is true of money but it is equally true of other resources God has given us. Unfortunately, we usually judge by the amount given rather than the cost. After all, what else can we judge by?

One of the most important resources we posses is energy. There are a few individuals blessed by God with almost boundless energy. However, most of us have to choose how much of this limited resource we give to various daily demands: work, family, friends, fun, church, prayer etc.

Perhaps, we need to think more about our priorities. Many Christians today [men and women] end their working day exhausted with little left to give. That can happen for different reasons – it might not be a matter of choice. But it might. More money, promotion and more influence usually demand more energy.

Do we spend our energy wisely?

Over the last few months God has given me some extra energy to spend and I have had to think very carefully about how to do that. I can do more [though still limited] – possibly at less cost than in the past. There are many Christians who struggle with this problem. We can be too quick to judge others on the basis of what we see them giving, unaware of what it costs. I can imagine the day might come when I will blush because I dismissed someone as uncommitted or unspiritual and then Jesus points out that they gave far more that I ever gave because they gave out of their poverty – it cost them more than I imagined.

1 comment:

John Thomson said...

Couldn't agree more.