Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Bad Science Bad Theology

My friend Donald sent me this link to an article in The Spectator.

I liked the quote at the very end of the article... ‘If you’d asked any scientist or doctor 30 years ago where stomach ulcers come from, they would all have given the same answer: obviously it comes from the acid brought on by too much stress. All of them apart from two scientists who were pilloried for their crazy, whacko theory that it was caused by a bacteria. In 2005 they won the Nobel prize. The “consensus” was wrong.’

I'm not sure if I agree with Plimer's thesis that 'anthropogenic global warming' is a false hypothesis. But I'm pretty sure that the damage done has been done, and that the only reason for cleaner non carbon energy is preparation for the day the carbon fuels run out.

There was a catastrophe theology during the nuclear arms race... we are all doomed, etc etc. And the same thing surrounds the global warming conversation... a bad theology that defies God's promise to preserve the world until his purposes for it are fulfilled.

O ye of little faith, slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken.

No comments: