Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Restless...

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

Enjoy the Silence.
Depeche Mode

Been thinking in particular about the last two lines above today... given that my whole occupation comes down to words words and more words. And given that I am now looking for a job as a holy wordsmith I'm wondering what the game is really all about.

When people find out what I do for a living conversation often quickly gets round to the topic of change. It seems to be a basic assumption that ministers introduce change to congregations. I held to that assumption for most of my training. I have several draft memos filed away... strategies for change.

Maybe I'm just tired. Or restless. But today I'm thinking that the only thing I have to offer is words. That might be a change in itself.

2 comments:

JohnGreenview said...

Words arenot meaningless and forgetable - especially if they are gospel words. God has promised that gospel words have power - they are a savour of life unto life and death unto death. They will bring life or harden in sin.

The marvel is that through the folly and weakness of the word preached God creates a new creation.

Keep preaching. Change comes about through preaching not programmes of change.

Danny said...

Bleak song apart... I don't think you are tired or restless. You are just getting focused. Ministers are not agents of change any more than they are entertainers (although we are expected to be both these days)!

All we have to offer is the Word of God... and that is what the game is all about. Everything else we do as minister (and together with our congregation) flows from worship grounded in the Word of God. I might be hopelessly naive... but the day I stop believing that I will hang up my dog collar (well I would if I had one to hang up)!!